| || |
Some members were asked to reflect on their experiences in the club in June 2014. These will be shared with the official international Nerdfighters newsletter, along with this video profile of the club.
- Jake- 6th grade: “I'd say the point of Nerdfighters is to make people feel great about what they're good at.”
- Celia- 8th grade: “To stand together as a community of absolutely unique and FANTASTIC people to make this school (and ultimately the world) more awesome and less sucky.”
- Gabbie- 8th grade: “Nerdfighters is a group/club where we can share our common interests and help decrease world suck. We accept people for who they are, and also be ourselves at the same time. Helping out charities and participating in activities for the greater good is also part of what Nerdfighters do.”
What are some great things about Nerdfighters Club?
- Gabbie - 8th grade: Nerdfighters club has some really great qualities to it. I have been in Nerdfighters for three years now since I came to Middle School, and I'm really sad that I have to leave for High School. Also, feeling great because of all the new faces that appear each year, even as I have to go. Everyone participates in fun projects like P4A, and crafty sewing designs. People who are in Nerdfighters also find other student members who have the same interests, or "fandoms" as many people say.”
- Celia - 8th grade: “One of the greatest things about Nerdfighters Club is getting to know more people that have the same interests as you that you didn't know before. I also love the opportunities we get for a lot of activities in this club.”
- Rebecca - 6th grade: “The projects are fun and the videos are really funny and enjoyable, especially the vlogbrothers videos, and I like spending time with my friends and fellow nerds.”
- Josh - 7th grade: “EVERYTHING because we can do so much to decrease world suck like make videos do projects play games etc.”
- Imani - 6th grade: “you get to meet new people that have some similar traits”
What are your favorite projects done during Nerdfighters Club?
- Gabbie - 8th grade: “I loved P4A, because we could each pick a charity to help receive funds for. A lot of people connect with certain charities because of family, or past experiences. It's a great way for us kids to contribute to a charity even if we, ourselves, have no money.”
- Celia - 8th grade: “My favorite projects I've done in Nerdfighters are making t-shirt designs with paint and stencils and creating videos for Project for Awesome each year.”
- Marion, Rebecca, Imani - 6th grade: “LED light bookmarks!”
- Jake - 6th grade: “My favorite project is the Robot Training to be a Sumo Wrestler.”
- Peter - 8th grade: “One of my favorite projects was when we created things using duct tape.”
- Josh - 7th grade: “Well we have done many projects but my favorite was the LED project where we used cloth to make whatever we wanted (like a TARDIS) and put LED in the cloth to make it blink or just light up.”
What makes you especially made of awesome?
- Peter - 8th grade: “I am made of awesome because I am creative about the projects we do.”
- Jake - 6th grade: “I have more friends than anyone could ever ask for, and having fun is my main goal for life.”
- Imani - 6th grade: “I love singing, dancing, I am a gamer, and I love engineering.”
- Rebecca - 6th grade: “I am very special ;) and I enjoy all kinds of nerdiness. I fit in well here because we are all crazy and make our own nerdy and special contributions.”
- Celia - 8th grade: “I am especially made of awesome because I am UNIQUE and belong to this AMAZING community of people across the world.”
- Gabbie - 8th grade: “I almost always have a mustache on my hand, arm, or a sticker everyday. I love Doctor Who, and Supernatural. Books are magical paper rectangles that fill my head with new curiosity and knowledge!”
How do you decrease world-suck?
- Josh - 7th grade: “I make videos and projects and drawings etc anything I can to make the world have less world-suck.”
- Rebecca - 6th grade: “By being nerdy and getting many nerdfighters and spreading the word about nerdy activities and doing amazing projects and activities.”
- Celia - 8th grade: “I decrease world suck by being my own person and sharing what I think in the world. I express myself uniquely and exist as an awesome, fantastic, funny and exciting person.”
- Gabbie - 8th grade: “Decreasing world suck is a tricky task. What I've learned from Nerdfighters is that we help this by changing a few lives and then those people will do a few more, and a few more, and so on. It takes more than one person to move a mountain, it's a group effort. This group is called Nerdfighters.”
What are your favorite things about the international Nerdfighteria community?
- Celia - 8th grade: “My favorite things about the international Nerdfighteria community are how all these people of all different nationalities can share something in common and work together. Because of Nerdfighters, I can work with people from all over the world to create something AMAZING.”
- Gabbie - 8th grade: “I love International Nerdfighteria because of so many ways we can talk to people around the world. Many people outside where we live have the same interests that others do.”
- Rebecca - 6th grade: “I just enjoy the fact that so many people are able to come together to decrease world suck and do fun projects.”
- Peter - 8th grade: “My favorite thing about the international Neardfighteria community is that there are other people in the world that support what we do.”
- Jake - 6th grade: “There are a lot of people in Nerdfighters around the globe, and just knowing that this many people are in this club makes me proud for being a part of it.”